What is Hepatitis A?
Date: 2 سال قبل
What is Hepatitis A?
Hepatitis A is a contagious virus that can cause liver disease. It causes an acute, or short-term, infection. This means that people usually get better without treatment after a few weeks. In rare cases, particularly for people with a pre-existing health condition or people with weakened immune systems, hepatitis A infections can progress to liver failure and death.
What causes hepatitis A?
Hepatitis A is caused by the hepatitis A virus. The virus spreads through contact with an infected person's stool.
Here are some of the specific ways the hepatitis A virus can spread:
· Drink contaminated water or eat foods that were rinsed with contaminated water.
· Having sex with someone who has the virus
Laboratory diagnosis of hepatitis A:
The diagnostic gold standard for hepatitis A is the detection of anti-hepatitis A virus (HAV) IgM antibodies and the determination of total anti-HAV by enzyme immunoassay.
However, detection of HAV RNA can be useful in the diagnosis of patients without specific antibodies for hepatitis A and for the monitoring of infection.
Studies using real-time PCR have demonstrated that HAV RNA can be detected not only in feces, but also in serum and saliva samples earlier than detection of antibodies of hepatitis A.
Treatment of hepatitis A:
There is no specific treatment for hepatitis A.
You can take these steps to make yourself more comfortable:
· Get some rest.
· Try to keep food down.
· Avoid alcohol.
Hepatitis A Complications:
· The virus usually doesn't cause any long-term problems or complications. Rarely, you may have liver failure or need a transplant.
Hepatitis A Prevention:
· Hepatitis A Vaccine:The vaccine to prevent it is about 95% effective in healthy adults and can work for more than 20 years. In children, it’s about 85% effective and can last 15 to 20 years.
· Good hygiene is also important. Always wash your hands with soap and water after using the bathroom, before and after handling food, and after changing a diaper.
· When you travel to a place with poor sanitation, don’t drink tap water or eat raw food.